Cardinal Plant Tour
If you have ever wondered where Firelands Electric Cooperative gets it electricity or how electricity is generated, you may be interested in taking a tour of the Buckeye Power Cardinal Generating Station located on the Ohio River at Brilliant, Ohio.
Firelands offers members of the cooperative the opportunity to see where and how their electric power is generated. The annual trip is free to cooperative members and includes an interesting and informative guided tour of the plant. Firelands charters a bus, which departs from the New London office headquarters and the Ashland County-West Holmes Career Center (ACWHCC).
The 2013 Cardinal Plant Tour is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 2. Since the power plant can be a potentially hazardous area, tour participants must be at least twelve (12) years old, unless specifically authorized. There is a large amount of walking, descending several flights of stairs and going through some hot and dusty areas. Persons with health concerns or who require assistance with walking (cannot walk 1-mile or more without resting) should not take the tour.
Plant tours are only offered to members who have NOT previously toured the plant, and seats are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
2013 TOUR TENTATIVE SCHEDULE: (Passengers are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to bus departure)
- 8:15 a.m. Bus departs from Firelands Electric Co-op facility
- 8:50 a.m. Bus arrives at Ashland County-West Holmes Career Center
- 9:00 a.m. Bus departs Ashland County-West Holmes Career Center
- 11:40 a.m. Bus arrivesat Cardinal Station plant access bridge, Billiant, OH
- 12:00 p.m. Plant Tour – Cardinal Unit 3 Training Center
- 1:45 p.m. Bus departs Cardinal Generating Plant
- 3:15 p.m. Arrive at Dutch Valley Restaurant & Bakery, Sugarcreek, OH
- 3:30 p.m. Family style dinner compliments of Firelands Electric Cooperative
- 4:45 p.m. Bus departs Dutch Valley Restaurant & Bakery
(guests to be on bus 5-minutes prior to departure)
- 6:05 p.m. Bus arrives back at Ashland County-West Holmes Career Center
- 6:40 p.m. Bus arrives back at Firelands Electric Co-op facility
If you would like more information, please contact Firelands' Member Services Department at 800-533-8658.